Today is Day 5 of Kwanzaa..
❤️🖤💚 NIA 💚🖤❤️
PURPOSE: To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
For me, this day is intertwined so tightly with Kujichagulia (Day 2) that I had to go back and revisit the quote I paired with this day in reflection.
"If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive" - Audre Lorde
I live by this quote.
Depending on the day you ask me, my answer will be different in which one comes first. The definition or the purpose. Whether you define yourself, and once you define yourself, you find your purpose; or whether finding your purpose helps you fully and truly define who you are. I could make arguments for both. I have had life defining moments from both.
But what I do know is that EVERYONE HAS A PURPOSE. And everyone's purpose can be an asset to our community.
When it comes to bloggers, influencers, and other social media marketers and networkers... for some reason a common theme I have been noticing over the years is the quick dismissal of our craft. Our GIFTS.
If you are a blogger with an audience, you have a particular gift that God has given you that you have learned how to tap into.
- Writers - People forget that in order to blog, you have to have some kind of passion for writing. For me, writing has always been a passion of mine. I remember in middle school I would write these short stories and skits, print them out like a "weekly paper" on colorful printer paper and pass them out to my friends, hoping to make them laugh and relate. When I got older, I began writing poetry, I have filled up so many notebooks and journals -- full of poems that hold the happiness, pain, and trauma of a woman's growing pains to adulthood.
- Charismatic - Bloggers have a way of drawing people in. You obviously made people want to listen to what you have to say. Give yourself credit for that. Because we live in a world that is QUICK to silence you.
- Salesman - Lets be honest. I wouldn't be the me that you KNOW always keeps it real with you, if I didn't include this in. Bloggers are growing into this world's #1 marketing tool because of the time WE take to make things look appealing ... (or to let you know it isn't 🙃)
- Entertaining - The most successful bloggers (and vloggers) usually all have one thing in common. They are entertaining. This is what makes the difference in someone being invested in the article of the moment, or the blogger themselves.
- Giving - I want to really highlight this one. Because somewhere along the lines, the common narrative for all bloggers/social media influencers is that we ALL are selfie-loving narcissists -- "chasing fame" and doing it by any means necessary. While I understand that there are people out there who will ALWAYS enter ANY career field for the wrong reasons... By far and large, most bloggers out here are just people who needed an outlet to express their creativity. Bloggers not only dedicate hours upon hours on end just to make one thing look visually appealing enough that you will even WANT to take in the helpful advice they're trying to share. But they also publicly open themselves up to you. To the world. They share their thoughts, goals, and dreams with you. They share their FAMILIES with you. Something as simple as wanting to share a picture of you and your significant other becomes that much more heightened as a public figure. Because now people feel ENTITLED to an opinion on your life.
So with all this being said, understand that it's 2017, it will be 2018 in 2 days. We are no longer in the days where doctor, lawyer & school teacher are the ONLY "dignified" or "legitimate" jobs to have.
Times are changing. We live in a technology driven world. Now you don't have to clock in at a 9-5 to market to a targeted audience if you don't want to; or have weekly boardroom meetings on strategies for how to make someone else richer and further their dreams.
Now you can market right from your bed, or outside in the park as you sip coffee. You decide what you want to promote and WHO you want to promote. You can work for yourself.
That "selfie" that everyone seems to think was so minimal in purpose or impact. The one that actually took HOURS of preparation on the backend... being your own makeup artist, hair stylist, & photographer (or hell, even investing in hiring one). The investment you put into your lighting, camera equipment, operating and editing systems...
That selfie stopped time for a second and made people want to hear what YOU had to say. Your influence persuaded someone to not give up, try something new, or saved them money on a purchase because of your honesty.
YOU HAVE IMPACT.
The thing about being a blogger, as I begin to bring this back full circle to my mantra for this season of my life... you have to be secure in who you are... define YOURSELF and the message you are passionate about. Otherwise, this social media world can be an UGLY place full of people who will dim your light, simply because they don't see the purpose of it (your light) being there.
How do you find purpose and how do you make it apply to your community?
Find what YOU love and the WAY that you love do it. Don't use anyone else's blueprint and don't let anyone force you into remodeling yours.
You help your community first and foremost just by succeeding. By beating the odds.
But then, just like a seed, plant it back into another.
I walk in my purpose every single day by encouraging other women (and men) to live in THEIR truths. By supporting my sisters and brothers, and trying to always be a person who speaks LIFE into them, or doesn't speak at all.
I walk in my purpose knowing that it is not attached to any other person or their agenda for me.
As a blogger, you find your purpose when you find your voice.
- F. Amber 💞